Last week, when I returned from St. Lucia late, tired and starving, I quickly looked at what was available in my kitchen so I could make a quick and simple meal. What resulted was a quite filling meal that was made in about 20 minutes. It is inspired by the following recipes:
Due to lack of certain ingredients, such as basil which really gives pesto its flavour, I modified between these 3 recipes and made my own yummy and healthy vegan version.
Serves: 1 or 2
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 cup fusilli or penne pasta (I used gluten-free fusilli)
1 tablespoon organic almonds
1 tablespoon organic pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon organic sunflower seeds
1 garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
ground black pepper
1. Boil pasta as indicated by package instructions. Remove from heat, drain and pour pasta back into the pot, and set it aside.
2. Blend almond, seeds, garlic, rosemary leaves, lemon juice, sea salt and olive oil in a food processor/blender until smooth.
3. Put sauce into the pot of pasta over low heat and quickly combine pasta and sauce together until warm.
4. Put pasta onto a plate. Add avocado on top and sprinkle some black pepper to taste.
5. Mix avocado and ground pepper with pasta; to be eaten warm or at room temperature. Enjoy! 🙂
-I found one plate of this pasta very filling due to the avocado, so my suggestion is to take half of the portion and pair it with a mixed greens salad tossed in a few drops of raw apple cider vinegar and olive oil. That way, you can share the other portion with someone else, or you have extras for tomorrow’s lunch or dinner!