One of my favourite easy home-cooked meal is finding whatever is in the fridge and putting them together in less than 30 minutes. It definitely comes in handy when one is starving! I know I can always count on my vegetables and my go-to main staple, leftover brown rice, to make a yummy bowl of fried rice for dinner.
I am by no means a superb cook (as I’ve mentioned many times already; I’m more of a baker!) but this bowl of fried rice is quite satisfying, if I say so myself. 😉
In honour of Lunar New Year a.k.a Chinese New Year in my world, I am excited to share this simple and quick vegetarian fried rice recipe, à la Violet style, with you. The beauty of this recipe is that any rice and veggies will work!
I hope you will add this recipe as your go to when you need to make a quick and healthy meal within 30 minutes! 🙂
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Oil (I like to use grapeseed or avocado oil) for stir-frying
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 cup leftover cold cooked rice
½ pound of broccoli , chopped stalks and florets
1 tomato, chopped
1-2 tablespoons light soy sauce
Toppings: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts (almonds/walnuts) and/or raisins
1. Heat a wok or frying pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil or less (according to your preference) over medium-high heat and when the oil heats up, add in the egg. Cook and stir until the egg is lightly scrambled, not too dry. Remove egg from wok/pan and place in a separate plate/bowl for now.
2. If needed, add a little bit more oil into the wok/pan and add the garlic and ginger; briefly stirfry until they just show signs of changing colour or until fragrant.
3. Add the rice and stirfry it for a few minutes, using chopsticks or a wooden spoon, to break it apart.
4. When the rice is heated through, add the broccoli and tomato, and cook, until the broccoli is crisp-tender.
5. Stir in the soy sauce as desired and add the scrambled egg back into the wok/pan. Mix thoroughly and quickly.
6. Serve hot in a bowl, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
-If you want to add other ingredients, or serve more people, simply double or triple the recipe.