Two nights ago I was suddenly craving for rice krispie square, a fond memory of a yummy treat from my childhood, and at the same time, I wanted granola bar as a snack for my day trip the next day. It is quite strange yet I guess it’s a natural response, as I slowly move towards healthy eating, I no longer feel the compulsion to buy a snack outside (e.g. from vending machine, fast food etc.) to satiate my hunger. I rather bring my own healthy snack to munch on or wait till I go home to make something nutritious. As a result, I decided to combine my desires for both a rice krispie square and a granola bar into creating the following healthy snack recipe.
I hope you enjoy making and sharing my Chocolate Crunchy Squares or Bars with your family and friends, as much as I did! 🙂
Makes: 24 squares or 12 bars
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
-You can substitute any cereal into the recipe and it doesn’t have to be gluten-free. I made it gluten-free to suit my dietary needs.
-If you have a sweet tooth, this recipe is most definitely for you! The squares/bars are extremely sweet. If you don’t want them that sweet, you can decrease the amount of honey into 2/3 cup, and the chocolate chips into 1/4 cup.
-Please store no more than 2 days at room temperature in airtight container, covered with parchment paper.
1 cup manuka honey
2 cups gluten-free cereal (I like Nature’s Path Sunrise Crunchy Vanilla Cereal; it has corn, rice, flax, quinoa, buckwheat & amaranth)
1 cup rolled oats (wheat-free & dairy-free)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Warm up honey on medium heat until it simmers in a saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Immediately add cereal and rolled oats in the saucepan, and stir evenly.
- Quickly add sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and mix well.
- Reheat mixture in saucepan on medium heat, and quickly stir in the chocolate chips until well coated. The chocolate chips should melt within seconds.
- Remove from heat and press mixture evenly into a baking tray (lined with parchment paper).
- Cool mixture completely before cutting into either squares or bars.
- Enjoy! 🙂